Tuesday, April 3, 2007

Who am I to judge?

We can never judge the lives of others, because each person knows only their own pain and renunciation. It's one thing to feel that you are on the right path, but it's another to think that yours is the only path.” Paulo Coehlo

Last night I was checking out Donna Downey’s blog and I read her post regarding the easter bunny she found in England. I must say that I thought it was quite funny. It made me smile and then I thought “oh, that’s so wrong!”. I didn’t over analyze it. I got Donna’s sense of humor. Then I started reading the comments on her post and people (including myself) are so quick to judge. ouch!

So I started thinking about judgement in terms of me judging others, others judging me and me judging me. We expect everyone else and ourselves to be perfect, to fit in a certain box; the box of the good wives, the box of the good mothers, the box of the good sisters, the box of the good friends, the box of the good Christians, the box of the good crafters and now the box of the family-friendly bloggers just to name a few. AND we better not dare to be human, be different, make mistakes, confront others and make choices that don’t fit with the standards of “the box” because we will be judged and kicked out of the box FOREVER. One strike and you are out! Yikes!

What happened to acceptance, forgiveness, humanity, sisterhood, brotherhood, communion, rebirth….Isn’t that what this week is about?

I think there is a lesson to be learned.

"Note to Self":
1. Be more aware of my thoughts and stop judging others
2. Be more aware of my thoughts and stop judging myself
3. Accept that we are all human
4. Accept that I am human
5. We are all different
6. We all make mistakes
7. I make mistakes
8. Mistakes help us learn and grow
9. Sometimes it takes more than one mistake to learn and grow
10. It’s ok to not know what my path is
11. It's ok to not fit in the box or boxes :)

No comments: